IDL Programming Tips
This IDL Programming Tips and Tricks database is constantly being updated. I have a large collection of tips I've collected from teaching hundreds of IDL users and from the IDL news group (comp.lang.idl-pvwave). I try to add a half dozen or so new tips per month. Doing so takes quite a bit of time. If you find this information helpful, and you would like to contribute to this free service, please consider making a small donation of any amount to support this work.
If you have a question that you would like to see answered here, please fill out this question form. I'll see what I can do to find an answer.
- Relative positioning is confused by window refreshing in function graphics operations.
- Yikes! The function graphics
Erase method appears undocumented and it, well, doesn't erase anything!
- Do you have a Coyote program for drawing velocity vectors on a map or plot?
- Where can I find customized on-line IDL training?
- Say what!? My Mac won't let me spawn an ImageMagick convert command!
- What are these “Coyote Graphics” I keep hearing about?
- Where can I find code examples for graphics plots in IDL?
- How do I install the Coyote Library?
- Help! My Coyote Library program doesn't work!
- Can you recommend a good book for learning IDL?
- What is the best way to create a filled contour plot?
- How do I add a color bar to my graphics plot?
- Can you explain how color works in IDL?
- How do I display a transparent image in IDL?
- Can you help me create, browse and read netCDF files in IDL?
- Can you tell me how to read an ASCII data file with columns of data?
- What are the 10 most common programming errors in IDL?
- Can you show me how to use Greek symbols in IDL?
- What is the best way to produce IDL graphics for Internet or Powerpoint display?
- Are IDL PostScript landscape files always upside-down!?
- I hear the Histogram command is awesome. What do you know about it?